5 A-PEA-LING FACTS ABOUT PEAS
One does not normally think about green peas as a power food but we should. Because of their sweet taste and starchy texture, we know that green peas must contain some sugar and starch (and they do) but they also contain a unique assortment of preventative and health benefiting properties.
1. Peas contain many antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds that collectively support healthier blood vessels fostering stronger immune systems and increased energy levels while slowing the effects of aging. POW!
2. Peas contain high amounts of a health-protective polyphenol called coumestrol. A study in Mexico City determined you only need 2 milligrams per day of this phytonutrient to help prevent stomach cancer. A cup of peas has at least 10! POW!
3. Peas contain generous amounts of vitamin B1 and folate, B2, B3, and B6 reducing homocysteine levels, which are a risk factor for heart disease. POW!
4. Just one serving of garden peas and contains as much vitamin C as two large apples, more thiamine than a pint of whole milk and more fibre than a slice of wholemeal bread. POW!
5. One cup of peas contains 44% of your RDI of Vitamin K, which helps to anchor calcium inside the bones. Its B vitamins also help to prevent osteoporosis. POW!
In summary, eating peas (fresh or frozen) may prevent or minimize the occurrence of (amongst other health nasties) stomach cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, arthritis, bronchitis, osteoporosis, candida and constipation.